Bamboozled

Mentally  this picture captures my face when Eve Ensler, female activist extraordinaire, author of The Vagina Monologues and the currently running off Broadway show Emotional Creature, and founder of City of Joy in The Congo, came on the stage of the 90 seat intimate theater on west 42nd street in Manhattan and greeted us, me, as an activist.
Not only did she greet us that way once, but she referred to us the entire time she spoke with us. She kept calling us, me, and activist. Is that who I am? Had no one told me? Had I not gotten the memo?
I had the privilege of seeing Eve Ensler's show Emotional Creature as tickets to the show were gifted organizers of VDAY campaigns across the US. I am one of the organizers for the production of The Vagina Monologues at my 9-5 gig. And for those of you are are unaware, VDAY is an organization founded by Eve Ensler, committed to advocating for the rights and needs of women and girls everywhere who have or are experiencing sexual violence or injustice by virtue of them simply being who they are, female. So yes, I am an activist.
As the year draws to a glorious close and the new year humbly begins I will be able to say that I was a small bushiness owner. And I will ponder all of the other things I was and am (and some things I'm sure will shock me, growth and revelation will do that to you). What will be imperative however is that I hold tight to that which I agree that I am (the healthy things I'll hold onto, the not so healthy things, I'll work on) and let go of the things that I once was.
It's a little early for me to write my reflection of 2012 post, sharing highlights and lowlights of the year. However, it's never too early to ponder and be excited about the present and prepare for the future.
So, this week, I want you to think about who you are and act accordingly. Don't be bamboozled into acting like that which you were and that which you aren't and never was. If you're not the girlfriend, stop acting like it. If you are the co founder, act like it. If were the boyfriend, then you were, you're not anymore, stop calling, pull yourself together, embrace the single, mingle, and be some one's "new boyfriend". If you were  the lead designer, you were, not anymore. You're still a designer, start your own brand, but if you're not a business person, link up with someone who is. Think and do (as long as the doing doesn't harm yourself or others).  Happy Tuesday! xxoo

No comments: