Phind out Phriday- Everyone Needs a Little TLC- Edward Hancock of Excellent Hands Massage Services

One question that I rarely ask entrepreneurs in my interviews anymore is “How do you de stress?”  I found that many of the entrepreneurs didn’t de stress. They acknowledge that entrepreneurship is demanding work and can be stressful but they don’t de stress.
Well, this week I interviewed Edward (Ed) Hancock, the owner of Excellent Hands Massage Services, a man who makes helping people de stress his business.  He knows the value of taking time to step away from the demands of the dream and care for the dreamer.  
Phreedum: Tell me how you started Excellent Hands Massage Services.
EH: I always wanted to work for myself. While working for a large food corporation I also worked as a personal trainer which I enjoyed more. As I continued my work as a personal trainer I decided to go to massage therapy school. Starting Excellent Hands Massage Services seemed like the perfect way to engage my passion for entrepreneurship and my passion for total body wellness.  
Phreedum: Who are you in 5 words?
EH: Humble, smart, passionate, respectable, easy going
Phreedum: What has been a highlight for you as an entrepreneur?
EH: I think every time a customer says “That’s the best massage I’ve ever had” that is a highlight for me.  I’ve been doing this for three years now and hearing that and other positive feedback from customers never gets old. 
Phreedum: With your customers as your highlight as an entrepreneur, tell me then, who motivates you as an entrepreneur?
EH: I have a daughter and she is my biggest source of motivation. I want to set an example for her. I want her to know she can have dreams and achieve them, happiness is real and hard work pays off. 
Phreedum: What is one of the biggest lessons being an entrepreneur has taught you?
EH: Nothing is easy and there is always hard work to do. I’m still learning how to navigate this whole entrepreneurship process.
Phreedum: What advice have you found helpful as you continue to build your brand?
EH: Stay humble and don’t be scared to ask for help. Entrepreneurship is very humbling. While you have to be confident to step out and start a business on your own, you have to know that you don’t know everything. Because you don’t know everything you have to ask for help.
Phreedum: How does your work as an entrepreneur change the lives of others?
EH: I help people to be at their best. Let’s be honest. When you are rested and relaxed, you are able to better engage in your work and relationships. Your mood is better and your outlook is better. Providing a great massage helps people to be rested and relaxed. They come in to see me out of sorts, and I send them out calm, cool, and collected. 
Phreedum: You help others de stress, so how do you de stress?
EH: I zone out to music. It helps me clear my head.
Phreedum: So what artists are on your play list?
EH: I’m big on R&B and Neo Soul. So a good amount of artists like Jill Scott and Anthony Hamilton.
Phreedum: What would you tell the Edward Hancock of 10 years ago?
EH: Wow. Good question. I would probably tell myself to make smarter financial decisions. It’s never too early to learn about money and how to save ad spend it wisely.
Phreedum: I always like to ask entrepreneurs I interview for a piece of advice they would like to tell other aspiring entrepreneurs. So Mr. Hancock, what advice would you give others on their entrepreneurial pursuit?
EH: Do what you have a passion for because if you don’t you won’t last long.

For more information about Edward Hancock and Excellent Hands Massage Services follow him on twitter @Excellent_hands or like his Facebook page, Excellent Hands.


No comments: