Phind out Phriday: A girl named e and her roughdrAftbooks



Everybody loves a winner. And that’s what I was when I first got a look at my first roughdrAft book by e Bond. I won a gift card to Art Star Gallery and came across this beautiful handmade inspiring journal. And after seeing the journal I decided to see the website. And after I saw the website I decided I would have to see the person behind the books. So I sent an email, got an email back, and a few months later e Bond of oughdrAftbooks and I were sitting in Capogiro on 20th and Sansom eating gelato, laughing, amazed we had a mutual friend, and me totally ready to phind out more about her and her craft.
Phreedum: Who are you in five words?
eB: Maker, teacher, explorer, traveler, interesting.
Phreedum: Why “roughdrAft?”
eB: I started off making these really intricate bound books for people to use to document and tell their stories in. People loved the books. But, people were afraid to write in them. They said they were too pretty. I wanted people to see beauty in everyday life. I think you can use beautiful things every day. I say take the book and write your grocery list in it. So that’s how I came up with the name and the designs. Rough drafts are undone and means you have to keep trying. That’s pretty much life.
Phreedum: Okay, now tell me about the e in e Bond. What is e short for?
eB: Nothing. That’s my first name. e.
Phreedum: Oh ok. (I was slightly embarrassed.)
eB: Yup, my mom wanted me to have a fair chance. She thought you would have to wait until you met me and there would be no opportunity for preconceived notions.
Phreedum: I can dig it. Tell me, what’s been the most challenging aspect of creating these one of a kind books?
eB: Time and what to do with it. When you are figuring it out you don’t know the exact path, so you don’t know exactly how much time to dedicate to particular parts of the process. It’s a challenge when you are the maker, business person, and secretary. Each part demands time. Plus, business is not my natural inclination. It’s a different world. It’s new and I have to learn it.
Phreedum: What else have you learned? How have you evolved?
eB: As an artist you want to make things that are one of a kind, offering its own form of uniqueness, its own brand of beauty. I continue to get closer and closer to creating objects that are one of a kind and utilitarian at the same time, and my books get closer and closer to that. However, I don’t want my books to become something people can’t afford. I’m actually creating two lines of books. Ones that are crazy beautiful intricate books. The others are designed to be more accessible and keep the cost low. Everyone should have a space to tell their stories.
Phreedum: Pretty socially conscious of you. What is most fulfilling about creating your books?
eB: Somebody actually wants to buy something I made. No matter how many sales I have, every time it happens I just think it is so cool.
Phreedum: How does your craft change the lives of others?
eB: Hopefully it gets people to write more and be more conscious of their lives. And, hopefully people read more. I think the two, reading and writing, go hand in hand.
Phreedum: Who has been the most influential in allowing you to phreely pursue and develop Roughdraft?
eB: Family and friends. It’s a collective effort. I have friends who are artists and it’s great because when I need them to become helpers on a project, they do. And my mom. Whenever I tell her something I am working on she says “That sounds great.”
Phreedum: How do you define success?
eB: Simple. Am I getting to make stuff everyday? Am I learning everyday? Am I contributing to the world everyday? When I can say yes to these questions, I am successful.
Phreedum: What has been your proudest moment so far?
eB: Last year I volunteered in Vietnam. I helped disabled individuals, mostly women, there was one young man, learn how to make books so they could sell them and make money. I taught them how to create a product themselves, something they could manage and sell on their own to create a living for themselves. My product has become sustainable for them, and they are selling their books on http://www.etsy.com/shop/lifestartfoundation?ref=ss_profile. While I was there I definitely got to answer yes to all of my success questions. It was a great experience.
Phreedum: Definitely a bit envious. That is really great. Tell me, what’s the best advice you have ever received about being an entrepreneur?
eB: I would have to say unspoken advice. I’ve been lucky to see women live diverse lives, and to me that says there isn’t one path, and that is SO liberating. Being an entrepreneur is not an easy life, but it’s worth it. It has to be worth it to you and no one else can tell you that but you. There is no road, you have to make the road.

To learn more about e and her books visit http://www.roughdraftbooks.com/



No comments: