Our Own Hurdle Part 3- Be Regular


Ok, this is it. After this you should be over yourself.  Or at least confident that you will be able to get over yourself.
If you’ve been following the blog for the past couple of weeks, I’ve been talking about this idea that sometimes we are the ones who stand in the way of our own success. I’ve talked about how we slide into second, grab our silver, smile politely for the cameras, and go home only to do the same thing all over again, never getting past number two.
In my first post I shared that sometimes we hinder ourselves because we focus on past mistakes or set unrealistic expectations. In the second post I shared sometimes it’s fear. Sometimes we are so afraid we can’t and don’t move forward. It may be the fear of the unknown, failure, or even success. Yes that’s right. Some people are afraid to succeed.
This week, as a conclusion to this series, I want to talk about one other stumbling block that I think gives a nice hard push into the lap of mediocrity.
Lack of Discipline- Doesn’t give warm tingly feelings. I know. Probably makes you want to say “I’m grown, I know what I’m doing.” If you did, then why are your trophy cases filled with silver medals and newspaper clippings about you being the runner-up?
Now, I don’t want your OCD to kick in as you read this. And I don’t want any latent insecurity about being imperfect or not doing enough to surface. Achieving your goals doesn’t mean being perfect.
What I do want is for you to be honest with yourself about what you are giving CONSISTANTLY to your goal. The key word being CONSISTANTLY.
If I received a nickel for every time someone said they have drive, they’re focused, they go at it with 200%, etc. etc. I could probably pay at least two months of rent.  I hear it that often.  I meet and know a lot of great innovative driven people.  But drive doesn’t equal discipline.
I think what ultimately separates the “done it” and “doing it” from the” I was trying to” and “One time I did it” is discipline. Consistency is important. Constantly giving 200% is what makes the difference.
When I’ve interviewed entrepreneurs for  Phind out Phriday on the  blog several  entrepreneurs have shared that lack of motivation creeps in, rejection is pretty regular, and the process of becoming  great is truly a process.  This whole pursuing dreams, reaching your destiny, living a life of passion and purpose thing is not easy. Therefore it demands that you consistently go at it with your very best. It requires that you figure out how you can regularly ensure you are making calculated steps toward achieving your set goal.
I have definitely been learning to be more disciplined with Phreedum. I can honestly say I am one to have more passion than patience. And if the patience is lacking the discipline won’t be there. I can also say that as I have kept the goals of Phreedum in front of me (literally) I have been able to strategically map out how to use my time and talent in a steady manner to further develop and grow  my business.
Discipline is a conscious dedicated choice to devote regular time, energy, and resources toward a desirable goal. That’s it. The people we admire are the ones who do this. And I don’t just mean our great historical figures or celebrities. But also the men and women who serve and protect our country. We depend on their discipline to protect and ensure our freedoms.  
It’s not enough to want your goal. It’s not enough to be creative or passionate.  That alone will not get you where you want to go and where you can go. What will get you there is that concentrated steady effort. That commitment to not doing whatever it takes, but doing exactly what it takes. The foregoing social events, the staying up late or getting up early before the 9-5 gig, the enrolling in the small business development classes and attending all 8 classes on time with assignments complete, the weekly trips at a minimum to the free library to access boatloads of data for research, the finding a mentor, etc.
Whatever you are going after, just go after it systemically and steadily.  Despite the rejections, setbacks, and disappointments, keep going at it with all that you have.  If you remember to be regular, you won’t have to worry about being “almost” remembered. 

1 comment:

G said...

Just what I needed to hear. Definitely one of my favorite posts so far.