Phind out Phriday: Carly Goldberg, the Women's Collaborative Circle


This interview has been weeks, dare I say months in the making. That, I suppose is what happens when you want to interview a full time everything. Carly Goldberg, founder of The Women’s Collaborative Circle (WCC), is a full time mother, wife, doctoral student at the University of Pennsylvania, friend, neighbor, entrepreneur, and perhaps her best quality…..human. I think it is her humanness and her love for humans, particularly women (no offense fellas), that has allowed Carly to passionately pursue the development of the Women’s Collaborative Circle. The WCC is dedicated to creating a safe space for healing, exploration, discovery, and growth for women from all walks of life.
Phreedum: Who are you in five words?
CG: Oh my God.
We both begin to laugh.
CG: Ok, ok. Five words. Mother, feminist, wife, social-worker, women’s-rights-activist.
Phreedum: How long has the WCC been around?
CG: I’ve always had an affinity for the sacredness of space and time. As I worked as a social worker, my affinity grew, and my belief that women need a space as individuals and as a group to gather deepened. The bridge between the WCC as an idea and to the WCC as having both an online presence and location to offer services came after I gave birth to my son. As I adjusted to motherhood I felt like I was plopped into a Salvador Dali painting. Have you seen how abstract those things are? When I called friends and family members who were mothers, I found they were either too embarrassed or scared to talk honestly about the transition. This just furthered my knowing that women need a space to talk honestly and openly about their lives. Women needed the WCC.
Phreedum: So this has definitely been a process for you. As you have gone through this process, how have you evolved?
CG: I’ve gotten better at trusting my instincts. I’ve also learned the importance of working from a place of authenticity, which allows for inspired action and surrendered outcome. I would also say I’ve gotten way better at recognizing what I don’t know and my limitations and when to ask for help.
Phreedum: Help is really important as an entrepreneur. Who has helped you phreely pursue your dream of starting the Women’s Collaborative Circle?
CG: I have had a lot of support from family and friends to be courageous. One quote I hang onto is by Audre Lorde “When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid”. I would also say I have been influenced by all of the women who don’t have an opportunity to share their voice. Everyone deserves to be heard.
Phreedum: What is the most challenging aspect of women centered work?
CG: With any people group that has a history of oppression it is really challenging but necessary to look at the larger systems to which they belong and the messages those systems have fed them and they have bought into. Women get a lot of messages about their value, role, and importance to their cultures and society via media and law/policy. It can be challenging to combat that, but necessary nonetheless.
Phreedum: How does the work you do change the lives of others?
CG: I hope it gives women validation. As humans, we all want to be and feel validated. At the WCC we offer individual therapy, support groups, healing work, guest bloggers an opportunity to share their voce on the WCC blog, and a space for women to form and strengthen personal and professional identities.
Phreedum: I’m always curious as to how entrepreneurs stay motivated and energized. So, what do you do to stay on top of your game?
CG: Well, the tiredness doesn’t really come from the work as much as me just trying to keep up with all of my ideas. Sometimes I wish I had 5 more of me to get everything done. I de-stress and renew by carving out time with my family. I also like to watch a trashy reality show, usually on Bravo. And lastly, I would say that I am renewed by the emails I get from amazing women all over the globe wanting to connect. Connection is the heart of the WCC.

For more information about Carly Goldberg and The Women’s Collaborative Circle please visit www.womenscollaborativecircle.org



No comments: